Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Character Review #2: Dark Ones

Welcome to my second character review. I hope you enjoyed last week's post about Carpathians. This week I'm talking about a different but similar type of character known as a Moravian Dark One. Who are these mysterious men that share blood-sucking tendencies with a plethora of other characters in fiction? They are Katie MacAlister's take on the vampire, and they are hot, hot, hot! For this giveaway I'm offering Zen and the Art of Vampires. It's not the first of the series, but it does start a story of it's own with human character Pia Thomason. As usual, it can be read as a stand-alone novel.

So, what do I like and dislike about the Dark Ones? Firstly, they're very close to the traditional ideal of a vampire: soulless, bloodsucking, night-roaming men searching for that one special woman who can redeem them. Okay...maybe not entirely. I've enjoyed Katie MacAlister's books for a few years now. Her historicals, contemporaries and other paranormal novels usually have me crying from laughing at the messes her quirky heroines always get stuck in. She keeps that same vein in the ladies of the Dark Ones novels. For the men, the actual vampires, she adds mystery and an alpha streak that is close to believable. Her Dark Ones are not chest-beating, male-chauvinistic characters (well...not all of them). They use logic and valid arguments to woo their "Beloveds", even the non-human ones. Overall, I've enjoyed all of the Dark Ones novels. I can't say they are my all -time favorite vampires, but they're definitely worth a read.

Have you read any of the Dark Ones novels? What did you think? Are they your ideal of a good, romantic vampire? Comment below and you'll be entered to win a copy of Zen and the Art of Vampires. Please include your email address. The winner will be posted on Wednesday. Good luck!

8 comments:

  1. I just bought the first book in the series and can't wait to get started on it. I've heard such great things and want to devour the whole series. Thanks for the chance

    june111(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I hope you like her characters as much as I do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of the Dark Ones series, but I am a big fan of her books. This series is on my to read list!

    Thanks for a chance at winning!

    ftatman5 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh have you read Men in Kilts? I LOVE that one! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read that one. Love the Dragon books though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, oh yes, Men in Kilts is a GREAT read. I highly recommend all of Katie MacAlister's contemporary romances.

    Well ladies, it's time for me to choose one of you as my winner. Again, I sincerely appreciate both of you taking the time to read my blog and leave comments. So without further ado...courtesy of random.org, my winner is...
    Lanae!! Congratulations!!!
    I'll be emailing you in a second to get your address :-)

    Jolene, be sure to check out next week's post. I'm reviewing Dora, a computer turned humanoid in love with a real live man. She's in The Dare by Susan Kearney.

    ReplyDelete