Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday WTF?: It's a School, Not a Dating Service!

Yet another teacher was in the news on Thursday for having an "inappropriate relationship" with a student. What boggles my mind is this was an eighth grade teacher, putting her students in the 13-15 year range. Okay, I don't care how early puberty hits, there is no 15 year old on the planet that would get me hot and bothered. How in the fuck can these teachers, men and women who are sworn to teach our children, look at them one day and not see a child before them? 
When we saw the bit on the news my husband said, "What the fuck? It's not like they can't go to a bar or jump online and find someone their own age?"
Is it just too easy? Do these teachers who have broken such a sacred rule spend too much time with our kids? It's not like they don't know it's wrong. At what point do they start seeing these kids as potential adult flings rather than the children they are? I just can't wrap my head around it.
Now, I have two teenage daughters, one in high school and one in middle school. I'll admit I've done double-takes before on a couple of their teachers, but NEVER their classmates. I'll joke with them about who is cute and who isn't, but I'm JOKING. When I look around at boys below twenty, that's just what I see...BOYS. And they're strangers, not children I've watched age over a school year. Not kids I've learned the bad habits of and know their parents' names.
It's getting to the point where home schooling is the rule rather than the exception. It seems the only way to keep our children safe from predators.

2 comments:

  1. I saw that too. Unbelievable! I wasn't thrilled with the mentality of a 15yo when I was 15, so What could a 28yo have in common with a kid that age?

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, I agree. It's ridiculous for an adult to be turned on by a teenager. I can't even imagine how things got that far. Disgusting!
    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete